2020 F1 Canadian Grand Prix Cancelled

By Ben Hamill - July 31 2020
SHARE

2020 F1 Canadian Grand Prix Cancelled

The ongoing world health crisis has claimed yet another casualty. Due to the high cost of bringing cars to North America from Europe, and with no spectators being permitted in the stands as per the orders of public health authorities, the 2020 Formula One Canadian Grand Prix, competed every year in Montreal, has officially been called off.

Race organisers confirmed the cancellation on July 24, shortly after having been informed by F1 president Chase Carey of the outcome of the decision regarding the combination of the high-costs and no spectators. Without spectators, and consequently without revenues, the event had suddenly become no longer viable, said the president of the Canadian Grand Prix, Francois Dumontier.

Other F1 races planned for the US, Mexico and Brazil for the remainder of the year, have also been cancelled.

Read More...Vettel Unhappy About Ruling At Canadian GP

Cancellation Huge Disappointment

What makes the cancellation even more disappointing, said Dumontier, was that two native-Montreal racers, Nicholas Latifi and Lance Stroll, had been scheduled to take part in this year’s event. It has never before happened in the history of F1 that two home-drivers would have been included in a single championship. Had the 2020 instalment of event been in a position to proceed, Stroll and Latifi would have made Canadian Formula One history.

Formula One officials had as recently as only three weeks ago sent out the garage assignments for all drivers who were to compete in the event. This, said a clearly deflated Dumontier, only made the cancellation all that more unexpected.

Initially scheduled for June 12 to June 14, the event was postponed early on in April. Organisers said at the time that the idea was to host the event over October’s Thanksgiving weekend. Ticketholders are at liberty to either request a refund from event organisers, or to make use of their tickets in 2021.

The Canadian Grand Prix will survive, said Dumontier. Since organisers have not yet prepared the race facilities, no major expenses have been incurred as of yet.

Hard Knock For Tourism Industry

The industry likely to suffer the hardest impact of all is the tourism industry, said Dumontier. Since around 56 per cent of all annual ticketholders come from outside of Montreal, the annual event contributes millions to the local economy. The hotel industry reported a 94 per cent occupancy rate during last year’s instalment of the Formula One Canadian Grand Prix. Last year’s race was one by Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton (GB).

Formula One has in the meantime confirmed that European races will in all likelihood continue in the fall.

Bet on the BIGGEST races online. Sign up at a sportsbook NOW!

SHARE