Poker-Pro Brent Carter Charged Over Hoaxing

By Ben Hamill - March 06 2021
SHARE

Poker-Pro Brent Carter Charged Over Hoaxing

Long-time professional Vegas Poker player Brent Carter, 72, recently appeared in the US District Court over charges brought against him by the state over a supposed grudge he’s allegedly been nursing against the New York State Gaming Commission (NYSGC) for a crazy 45 years. It all came to a screeching halt for the Poker-pro after he mailed four envelopes containing suspicious-looking content to the commission’s Schenectady headquarters.

The envelopes, which had been mailed to the commission between 2019 and 2021, contained everything from a mix of birdseed, paperclips, and hair, to a dubious-looking powder of unidentified origins. What’s more, in addition to the mailing of the strange and threatening envelopes, Carter reportedly also left a threatening voice mail message on the gaming regulator’s telephone systems – a message the regulator says alluded to the 2017 Las Vegas mass shooting.

Carter had allegedly in his voicemail lashed out at the “evil and dishonest” people employed by the gaming regulator, saying that instead of killing at least 60 innocent people, and injuring 411 more, the Las Vegas shooter should have made permanently unavailable gaming regulator staff.

Read More...WSOP Reveals Online Circuit Line-Up For ‘21

A Long And Bitter Road

Carter was eventually charged on February 25, and according to information provided by federal prosecutors in Albany, the source of Carter’s gripe with the gaming regulator dated back all the way to an incident that took place in 1976. Carter was that year temporarily banned by the gaming regulator from competing in horse racing over allegations of cheating.

Although the New York gaming regulator did later decide to reinstate Carter’s licence to work the horse racing scene, his gripe and bitterness had obviously remained over the temporary suspension.

The Poker-pro, who won gold bracelets in both the 1991 and 1994 World Series of Poker (WSOP) tournaments, has now been charged with hoaxing and the conveying of false information.

He’s Living A Nightmare

Police investigators first questioned Carter about the letters and threatening voicemails in Vegas in October 2020. He apparently at the time told investigators that he had been suffering from upsetting nightmares of not being able to locate his horses.

The Poker-pro also said he wanted his suspension to be cleared, claiming the gaming regulator had not responded to any of his queries and requests regarding this. He did not seem able to understand that the commission had, in fact, written him on several occasions informing him of the upliftment of his horse racing suspension.

Carter recently entered a plea of not guilty before US Magistrate Judge Christian Hummel, who eventually released him on conditions. If convicted of the charges brought against him, he could be spending up to 5 years behind federal prison bars.

Play in the TOP Poker tournaments online! Be a WINNER.

SHARE